Humint Events Online: Fox News Fun

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Fox News Fun

Yesterday I tuned into Fox News very briefly, at two different completely random times.

The first time, the big story was "What will the Bushes wear to the Inauguration?" and the blonde woman announcer seemed rather excited about talking about that. This immediately caused bile to rise in my throat and I rushed to change the channel.

The second time, I got treated to the spectacle of Newt Gingrinch on "HANNITY and colmes", comparing Barbara Boxer to Michael Moore and essentially calling them the conspiracy wing of the Democratic party. This was because Boxer had the temerity to challenge Condi Rice on a few of her lies. Newt gave the standard Republican puffery of Rice and all her qualifications. Then he let loose with this-- "Clearly the Democrats haven't learned the lesson of Tom Daschle". The subtext I assume being that Tom Daschle dared challenge the Republicans and this is why he lost his re-election. Of course this was pure horseshit, since Tom Daschle was about as meek and mellow a politician as you are going to find, and the reasons he lost were certainly much more complicated than simply that he mildly challenged the Bush administration. Watching old Newt spew this crap was maddening, and my anger lasted for far too long after I turned off the TV. Finally I realized Newt was just putting on a show, serving up the old propaganda for the Fox News masses-- although I couldn't quite figure out if Newt really believed what he was saying. I mean, how can any sane person defend Condi Rice's lies over the past four years? I don't care if she's black, that she has a PhD, that she plays wonderful piano -- that doesn't immunize her from criticism over her horrible job performance as National Security Advisor. You don't have to be a rabid partisan to see that Condi Rice was a pathetic shill and blatant liar who helped get the US into a tragic war.

In any case, while Fox news is fun to check in on once in a while, I surely would go insane if I had to watch it for longer then a few minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger