Humint Events Online: Calley Apologizes for My Lai

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Calley Apologizes for My Lai

This is a start, but it's rather hard to apologize for such an extreme act of pure evil:
William Calley, the former Army lieutenant convicted on 22 counts of murder in the infamous My Lai Massacre in Vietnam, publicly apologized for the first time this week while speaking in Columbus.

"There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai," Calley told members of the Kiwanis Club of Greater Columbus on Wednesday. His voice started to break when he added, "I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry."

In March 1968, U.S. soldiers gunned down hundreds of civilians in the Vietnamese hamlet of My Lai. The Army at first denied, then downplayed the event, saying most of the dead were Vietcong. But in November 1969, journalist Seymour Hersh revealed what really happened and Calley was court martialed and convicted of murder.


This is a good time to revisit the Amazing Hugh Thompson Vietnam story.

1 Comments:

Blogger nickname said...

Thanks for posting that. Two points.

1. Calley didn't apologize for what HE did. He only said he was sorry for what happened.

2. Colin Powell earned his bones
with the ruling class by his own
conduct vis a vis My Lai. When will
HE offer an apology?

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger